[Coral-List] Caribbean Heating Up

Mark Eakin Mark.Eakin at noaa.gov
Tue Aug 22 16:52:57 EDT 2006

Above normal temperatures are continuing throughout much of the
Caribbean.  While much lower than this time last year, we have
bleaching watch status at all of our Index Sites in the Caribbean
region except Sombrero Reef in the Florida Keys where a bleaching
warning has been issued, and at Lee Stocking Island, Bahamas which
has no stress.

NOAA Coral Reef Watch Satellite Bleaching products (HotSpot and
Degree Heating Week charts) for the Caribbean show that warming is
present across most of the region.  However, most temperatures are
below the bleaching threshold (maximum monthly mean +1 degree C) and
most Degree Heating Week accumulation is located off the Gulf Coast
of Florida.

Our 24 index sites around the globe can be found at:
http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/CB_indices/
coral_bleaching_indices.html
Current HotSpot and Degree Heating Week charts, HDF data, and
GoogleEarth products can be found at:
http://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/satellite/index.html

Please reporting any bleaching events (or non-events) at http://
www.reefbase.org/input/bleachingreport/index.asp

Cheers,
Mark

------------------------
C. Mark Eakin, Ph.D.
Coordinator, NOAA Coral Reef Watch
Center for Satellite Applications and Research
Satellite Oceanography & Climate Division
e-mail: mark.eakin at noaa.gov
url: coralreefwatch.noaa.gov

E/RA31, SSMC1, Room 5308
1335 East West Hwy
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3226
301-713-2857 x109                   Fax: 301-713-3136