[Coral-List] Bleaching Alert: Central Pacific heats up...again

Alan E. Strong Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
Wed Aug 23 12:28:55 EDT 2006

Here at Coral Reef Watch we are noting that our NOAA's satellite data
are indicating above normal temperatures over the mid-tropical Pacific.
If we had one of our automated our satellite indices "virtual stations"
in the vicinity of Howland (176.5W; 1N) & Baker Islands  (176.5W;
Equator) those subscribing to this free system would have received a
Satellite Bleaching Alert indicating temperature levels have approached
stressful intensities over the past week.  Not only are these islands
and some of the surrounding Kiribati Republic, just across the
International Dateline to the west, within a fairly large "HotSpot, but
the Degree Heating Week levels are inching upwards close to "3" at this
time.  NOAA has monitoring stations at these uninhabited islands, but
data are presently recorded and not presently being transmitted to us
via satellite in real-time.

Similar levels were seen in 2004 for this same area at this time but
this year's levels are not nearly as high as was observed by our data in
2002 when Kiribati sustained heavy bleaching.

Our 24 index sites around the globe can be found at:
http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/CB_indices/coral_bleaching_indices.html

Current HotSpot and Degree Heating Week charts, HDF data, and GoogleEarth products can be found at:
http://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/satellite/index.html

Please reporting any bleaching events (or non-events) at
http://www.reefbase.org/input/bleachingreport/index.asp

--
Alan E. Strong, Ph.D.
  e-mail: Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
url: coralreefwatch.noaa.gov

E/RA31, SSMC1, Room 5304
1335 East West Hwy
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3226
301-713-2857 x108               Fax: 301-713-3136
Cell: 410-490-6602