[Coral-List] Disease of Florida commercial sponges

Martina Milanese m.milanese at dipteris.unige.it
Tue Aug 29 03:30:08 EDT 2006

Dear LISTERS,
according to FAO data there has been a clear-cut drop in
the production of commercial sponges in Florida in 2000
(harvest was more than 2000 tons in 1999, to drop to
approx 400 tons in 2000).
I know that a number of sponge diseases have been recorded
in the Caribbean especially between 1996 and 1998 (year of
a severe coral belaching event). But I can not find any
official report stating that this drop in commercial
sponge harvest is linked to spreading disease. Is there
anybody able to confirm it?
Thank you so much!
Martina

Martina Milanese