[Coral-List] Information on white plague outbreaks in the Caribbean

EWeil eweil at caribe.net
Tue Feb 7 08:11:32 EST 2006

Dear listers,

I am interested in observations and/or reports on outbreaks of white plague (or any other coral reef  disease) during or after the mass bleaching event of last year in the Caribbean. I know there was an outbreak in St. John reported by Jeff Miller and we put something out from Puerto Rico where we observed and quantified WP outbreaks in several reefs that started around mid-late November. The outbreak was also more intensive in offshore, deep reefs (>15 m) with better water quality compared to inshore and/or shallower reef areas (???). If you have observed any outbreaks, could you please contact me and include the following information:

1- Disease
2- Date outbreak started (approximation will be ok)
3- Locality - reef (if possible GPS coordinates) and approximate depth interval.
4- Any assessment of intensity (proportion of colonies affected) and extension (area - reefs - etc)
5- Current status (still going or it arrested)
6- Any other information/observations you deem relevant

Thank you all for your cooperation!!

EW

Dr. Ernesto Weil
Department of Marine Sciences