[Coral-List] density of coral skeletons

Marah Newman mjnewman at ucsd.edu
Wed Feb 8 12:10:53 EST 2006

Hi All,

I have several bleached coral skeletons and I need to calculate
skeleton density.  I have looked at several papers that detail
methods for calculating density via buoyant weights, but I believe
this is to get measurements of live corals. Since I have the coral
skeleton only, is there any reason why I cannot simple use the basic
water displacement method (aka Archimedes)?  I know there is some
concern regarding trapped air, but if I soak the corals overnight
first in DI water, will this take care of it? Any comments as to why
this will NOT work, would be great.

Thanks.

Marah Newman