[Coral-List] Re: A healthy Reef in the Florida Keys?

Gregor Hodgson gregorh at reefcheck.org
Thu Feb 16 19:42:31 EST 2006

Hi Phil,

I think that we are about 25 years too late at best to establish a
"baseline." Might be good to trawl old video?

Since you raised the "R" word - may I comment that while 'resilency' may be
a useful heuristic tool, its relevance to coral reef conservation is nil. It
is impossible to predict what the future holds for individual coral reefs
given the large scale changes expected in ocean and atmospheric circulation,
sea level and linked chemical and biological parameters. In fact, basing
conservation models on our guesses at "resilency" rather than bet-hedging
will likely increase the chances of losing more reefs.

Over the long term, luckily there are several hundred species of corals and
only one species of human.

Regards,
Greg