[Coral-List] Coralliophila

Simone Nuernberger simmi_nuern at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 20 09:32:24 EST 2006

        Hi everyone,

  Can anyone please tell me (as detailed as possible) how the gastropod Coralliophila sp. affects hard corals and how this predation can be visually identified? Do signs of Coralliophila differ with the presence of algae in coral tissue? How can these predation scars be distinguished from coral diseases?

  One more question: Has anyone encountered a syndrome showing as “green spots” – small necrotic patches of light green coloration on the coral surface? Our studies were based in Indonesia and we mostly found these impairments on massive colonies of Porites spp.

  I appreciate your help!

  Cheers, Simone

  Simone Nürnberger (M.Sc.)
  simone_nuernberger at web.de
  Institute of Biology (Biological Oceanography)
  University of Southern Denmark
  DK-5230 Odense M