[Coral-List] Reef Remnancy not resiliency

Tom Williams ctwiliams at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 21 11:59:39 EST 2006

Phil

Agreed - what is left after 50-100years of farm
runoff, fertilizer, golf courses, bottle/dynamite
blasting, etc. would be a better question - at this
stage, every coral should be precious and protected,
but they are in the wrong places....

Recent discussions regarding Arabian/Persian Gulf and
Red Sea, and East Malaysia, Philippines, and
Majuro/Marshalls can be added to the Keys.  Costs $50
to reclaim and can sell for $500...OK

But some for Dubai Claim that programs are underway to
mitigate and compensate after the fact and since fish
like the reclamation it is improved.

Dr. Tom Williams

The original is too long

--- Phil Dustan <dustanp at cofc.edu> wrote:
> Dear Coral List,
I’d like to thank everyone for participating in the
discussion about
> healthy reefs in teh Florida Keys. I've gotten lots
> of response but no
> one can point to a healthy reef, because there are
> none left. And
> probably haven't been for a long time.

My point is that before we talk about resilience,