[Coral-List] FW: Proceedings of the 10th ICRS

Szmant, Alina szmanta at uncw.edu
Tue Feb 21 12:35:10 EST 2006

Dear Dr. Yamano:

I am concerned about the proposed high cost of hard copies of the
proceedings.  Since I came to UNCW, I have helped our library acquire
all of the series of proceedings (most we obtained for free from the
various institutions that had published them) so that our students could
use these valuable tomes to learn from and plan research.  But my
institution, as I am sure is true for so many others, does not have
enough funds to pay for all the journals and books we need, and such a
high cost could mean that they would decide not to buy this proceedings
set.

I suggest an alternative:  The cost of the CD set is reasonable I hope.
If the 10thICRS committee would permit non-for-profit academic
institutions to make their own hard copies from the CDs, then each
institution could find a less expensive way to make a permanent copy for
their collections.  It should certainly cost less that a few hundred
dollars to print out a full copy (and there would be no shipping of
heavy books across the seas!).  It may not be as nice as a
professionally printed copy but it will do the job.  At least my
university library would not do this unless there was an explicit
permission to make such a copy so as not to violate copyright laws.

Unless you can find a less expensive printer, I suggest you consider
this option.  It would be a shame if after all that work on your part,
the Proceedings didn't find homes in our libraries.

Sincerely,

Alina Szmant

Dr. Alina M. Szmant

Coral Reef Research Group

UNCW-Center for Marine Science

5600 Marvin K. Moss Ln

Wilmington NC 28409

Tel: (910)962-2362 & Fax:  (910)962-2410

Cell:  (910)200-3913

email:  szmanta at uncw.edu <BLOCKED::mailto:szmanta at uncw.edu>

Web Page:  http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta
<BLOCKED::http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta>