[Coral-List] Remnancy vs Resilence

Curtis Kruer kruer at 3rivers.net
Sat Feb 25 14:22:48 EST 2006

Folks,

In just a few days we've gone from a discussion of reef problems and degradation in the Florida
Keys, and how best to approach them after all these years, to a global (and even geologic time,
which I too find foolish) focus promoted by US scientists. And the more global the view, the more
complicated and diverse the opinions about what is going on and what should be done (if anything)
become.

And I suspect that those who still question worldwide reef problems are limiting their view to the
role of climate change.  So what a great irony today to read Anderson's concern of dynamite fishing
increasing on reefs in Tanzania. While US NOAA scientists continually move the target and encourage
us to think big. Keys problems don't rise to the level of dynamite fishing but the end result may be
the same.  My suggestions are simply to do what we can locally in places like the Florida Keys to
deal with obvious problems, not mysteries - but we're not even close to doing what is possible to
protect and conserve the place.  In light of the fact that the budget of NOAA's Habitat Conservation
Division and other programs have been cut nationally that will only be more difficult in the future.
  Time to come home.

Curtis Kruer