[Coral-List] "resilience"....

EWeil eweil at caribe.net
Mon Feb 27 02:45:23 EST 2006

Dear coral listers,

I agree that the source of all environmental problems affecting terrestrial and marine systems have a common denominator, human population growth, as Alina so eloquently put it. It is also clear to me that lack of education, and wrong government decisions significantly compounds the problem. If this list can somehow help to actively educate people about the benefits of having fewer children and not driving an 8-cylinder, 340 HP truck to get the kids to the soccer game, it would be wonderful. However, after dealing with politicians in Latin America, watching todays religious moderate and extreme fanatism, the Bush administration at work and the selfishness of most people, I remain highly eskeptical and pesimistic about the future of coral reefs and most other ecosystems as well.

Saludos!

Dr. Ernesto Weil
Department of Marine Sciences
University of Puerto Rico