[Coral-List] Job: reef fish monitoring in American Samoa
dfenner at blueskynet.as
Fri Jan 6 15:07:19 EST 2006
Coral Reef Monitoring Fish Specialist
Department of marine and Wildlife Resources
American Samoa Government
The opening is for a person with fish identification, coral reef monitoring, logistics and administrative skills. Salary is dependant on education and experience; standard American Samoa Government benefits are included. A two-year contract, renewable by mutual consent and subject to continued funding is planned starting early 2006. The specialist will be supervised by the Chief Biologist of DMWR and will work with the Coral Reef Monitoring (CRM) Ecologist to implement the actions and tasks outlined in the American Samoa CRM grant. The CRM Fish Specialist is responsible for both monitoring and management aspects of the program.
1.. Plan and schedule CRM activities,
2. Collection of monitoring data on reef fish,
3.. Input and analyze data,
4.. Work as a team to produce yearly status and trends reports,
5.. Purchasing and maintenance of equipment
6.. Updating web page,
7.. Assist other DMWR programs,
8.. Other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor's Degree with marine resource management or marine science experience; a Master's Degree would be preferred.
· SCUBA certification and ability to lift heavy dive gear.
· Knowledge of underwater visual census techniques; coral reef fish monitoring preferred.
· Experience with field identification of tropical fish; Indo-Pacific reef fish identification preferred.
· Ability to conduct fieldwork in surge and moderate seas.
· Strong organization skills.
· English communication skills at college level, both oral and written.
· Computer skills including word processing, spreadsheet, email and web page.
Applicants with a monitoring background and experience in project management-logistics will be favored. Individuals experienced with Pacific Island cultures are preferred.
Mail, fax, or email resume, cover letter, and contact details for three references to:
CRM Fish Specialist Search
Department of Marine and Wildlife Resources
P.O. Box 3730
Pago Pago, American Samoa USA 96799
Telephone (684) 633 4456 Fax: (684) 633-5944
Email applications may be sent to Caroline Tafeamaalin Ctafeamaalii at hotmail.com
Questions can be sent to Karl Brookins, Chief Biologist, Asfisherysci1 at yahoo.com
More information about the Coral-List