[Coral-List] Water quality parameters?

Julian Sprung julian at twolittlefishies.com
Wed Jan 11 10:51:07 EST 2006

Dear Jade,

The values will quickly become 0 mg/L without any special effort on your part as the soft corals assimilate the supplied nitrogen, or denitrification within the sandbed processes it. The supply water does not have to be free of ammonia or nitrate. You should be able to see this by taking measurements from the bulk water in the tank. If there is any measurable ammonia or nitrate, then the exchange with new water is at a really high rate, or you have no sandbed.

To avoid promoting excess algae in the exhibit, it would be best to run the water over illuminated turf scrubbers or through a sump/refugium with illuminated algae (such as Chaetomorpha spiralis). That would strip out the ammonia/nitrate from the new water prior to it entering the tank. The algae would have to be harvested to promote rapid growth and assimilation of nutrients, and export the assimilated nutrients.

You can play around with the amount of algae needed to achieve the best result. The supply of ammonia should make the soft corals grow well, and limiting it would slow them down.

Julian