[Coral-List] Re: PAR

Jade Maggs jmaggs at seaworld.org.za
Wed Jan 25 05:11:26 EST 2006

So what does it mean if one light source has a higher PAR rating than another, I am assuming that a higher PAR rating is more beneficial to corals. I am trying to make sense of why the corals that are collected at, say, 50 ft need the intense lighting that we try to provide them with. Also what is the essential difference between two 13000 kelvin bulbs if the lumen output is the same. I thought that maybe this is where PAR came in. Maybe one has a higher PAR rating than the other.

Thanks again for any help.
Jade Maggs
Aquarist
uShaka Marine World