[Coral-List] Methods for Preserving Zooxanthellae

Bethan Thompson bethanthompson at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 26 12:27:02 EST 2006

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on preserving isolated
zooxanthellae for future denisty counts.  I have tried
fixing in gluteraldehyde and also simply freezing
them.  Both methods preserved the cells, but they
clumped together and couldn't be sufficiently
resuspended for haemacytometer counts.  I think this
is probably due to contamination of the zooxanthellae
with host (anemone) tissue, but I am unable to get
completely host-free samples.  Any suggestions on
other methods I could try to preserve the algal cells
woule be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Bethan.