[Coral-List] FW: [SIV Global:] Commercial whaling: sustainable development or an insupportable practice

chris jeffrey chris.jeffrey at noaa.gov
Wed Jul 5 10:57:56 EDT 2006

Coral List servers, I replied to Alina's email about commercial whaling
but forgot include the coral listserv. Below is my reply to Alina's posting.

Chris Jeffrey

Alina

I am from Grenada and my master's thesis focused on coastal bottom
fisheries in Grenada during 1986 to 1993.  Bottom reef fishes (groupers,
snappers, and parrot fishes) accounted for only 7% of Grenada's fishery
harvest, Pelagic fisheries (tunas, billfishes, etc.) was about 61%,
shellfishes (2%), and unclassified (unidentified species) was about 30%
of fishery landings in Grenada between 1986-1993). Whaling has never
been an important source of fisheries revenue or food source in Grenada
or other island nations of the Lesser Antilles. There has been
incidental take of whales in Bequia, St. Vincent, but certainly not
enough to make whales a major source of revenue.  Additionally, the idea
that whales are competing with coastal communities for fish and
represent a threat to food security of those island nations is absurd.
Total fishery landings has increased significantly within the last
twenty years in Grenada, but fishery effort (i.e., the number of boats,
fishers, and fishery technology has also increased such that there has
been a decline in fishery catch per unit effort (the fishery pie is been
divided among more and more people, such that each person is now
receiving a smaller slice).
The real question is why would those islands vote with the pro-whaling
nations of the world, when whaling apparently is not pertinent to their
island economies? To answer this question we must look at island
economies in the broader context of today's global economy.   China,
Taiwan, and Japan have provided significant financial assistance,
invested in infrastructure development, and provided the latest fishing
technology and training to many of the small Caribbean island nations.
Japan is pro-whaling, and China abstained from voting. Additionally,
governments from Banana-producing islands (e.g., Grenada, St. Vincent,
Dominica, and St. Lucia) blame U.S. trade policy for the demise of
bananas on the world market (see
http://www.bananasontheline.com/news%20releases.html) for a review of
the US' roles in banana war between Latin America and the Eastern
Caribbean).  I think those two economic forces at play are shaping  or
have shaped the environmental viewpoints of  the governments of small
island nations in the Eastern Caribbean; they are pro-Asia because of
economic aid and anti-American because of perceived unfair American
world-trade policies.
In my view, environmental issues are always tied to perceived economic
benefit, and I firmly believe that being pro-environment is necessary
for the sustainability for small island nations, but it is a huge
economic cost (and probably a luxury) that poorer nations can't afford.
Many of the rich, developed countries of the world have sacrificed their
environment to achieve economic success and are now spending exorbitant
sums of money (more than the GDP of many Caribbean island nations) to
mitigate damage or restore the environment.  Governments and peoples of
poor island nations desire the lifestyles and consumer products that are
manufactured and are common place in developed countries.  To put it in
perspective, Grenada is 21 miles long and 15 miles wide (120 sq miles).
Yet almost every household in my village now has a 2-3 color TVs (only
the Rich folks had TV) and at least one car. Gas is more expensive in
Grenada than the in the U.S. (~$5.00 US per gal). Everyone drives
everywhere. All of my friends have cell phones, a computer and Internet
service. I grew up in Grenada without any of those products. Those
consumer products are not cheap because they are all imported and are
taxed heavily by the government. The only way to afford them is to make
more money i.e. fish more if you are a fisherman or become a full-time
fisher if you were a banana farmer.  Thus, many islanders and their
elected governments are are convinced that they must pursue economic
development, which usually comes at the expense of the environment or
the ecosystem to ensure a comfortable lifestyle. Also, the consumer
products that my Grenadian folks desire are manufactured by the Asian
countries (Japan, China, and Taiwan) that are promoting economic
development of the Caribbean island nations (coincidence?).

So is whaling important to small Caribbean Island nations that have no
whale fisheries? I believe so.  Those small islands nations are pawns in
the hands of pro-whaling countries on the international stage (my
opinion). Can we change the whaling vote of the representatives of those
countries? I don't think so, unless being anti-whaling becomes
economically beneficial to those countries (again my opinion).

Chris

Christopher F.G. Jeffrey, Ph.D.

Coral Reef Ecologist NOAA/NOS/NCCOS/CCMA/Biogeography Program
301.713.3028 x-134 (Tel)
301.713.4384 (Fax)
http://biogeo.nos.noaa.gov/projects/reef_fish/

Mailing Address:
National Ocean Service
1305 East-West Hwy, SSMC-4, N/SCI-1, #9213
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3281