[Coral-List] Corals quickly changing colours

Melissa Keyes mekvinga at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 6 08:51:11 EDT 2006

Dear Terry Ng, and fellow Listers,

  I have never noticed corals quickly changing colors.

  A gentler way to make polyps react, or close, is to fan them, rather than actually touch them, as even the lightest touch might press flesh into the calcarious structure below, causing grievous injury.

  Could you please post again, with a general type of coral?  I suspect you mean a type of "star" coral.  Are you seeing this on a night dive, or daylight?  Also, where are you diving?  What country?

  Cheers,

  Melissa Keyes

  St Croix, USVI, Caribbean Sea