[Coral-List] Flatworm predators

oritbar at post.tau.ac.il oritbar at post.tau.ac.il
Fri Jun 9 04:37:56 EDT 2006

Hello Laetitia, Charles and coral listers,

I'v been working on similar worms inhabiting corals in Eilat (Red Sea). The
worms we have in Eilat were identified as belonging to the Phylum Acoelomorpha
and are not flatworms. My collegues Matthew Hooge, Maxina Ogunlana and Seth
Tyler from the University of Maine identified one new species isolated from the
coral Plesiastrea laxa. This new specie is called Waminoa brickneri (I can send
whoever is interested a PDF copy of its description.
I was observing many coral colonies inhabited by worms and also comparing the
surface area of colonies with and without worms and found out that no physical
damage is caused to the coral. I'm not at all sure that these worms are really
a pest...I hope I will have an answer very soon.
As for predators, I didn't see any fish (in the natural environment) that feeds
on them.

I hope this information helps

Orit Barneah
Zoolgy dept.