[Coral-List] Migrating Diadema?

Melissa Keyes mekvinga at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 20 11:00:22 EDT 2006

Hello, All,

  Less than a week ago, I was coming into shore from diving deeper, nearing the one meter deep, "rocky" area where there are a lot of (perhaps several hundred) Diadema. Before I reached that area, in two to three meters, there was a scattered group of about twenty five to fifty Diademas, in an area of smooth hard bottom with few hiding places.

  I have been entertaining visiting relatives, and have been unable to closely watch this (?) event, to see if this group really was wandering to deeper water.

  Has this been observed before?  What preditors besides Queen Trigger fish, Old Wife, does Diadema have?  I did see one Queen Trigger last year in deep water, at the dropoff, so this kind of fish isn't a threat here on St Croix.

  Cheers,

  Melissa Keyes

  St Croix, US Virgin Islands

  (P.S.) To the person who wrote about coral food, I accidentally deleted your letter before reading, please write again.  I haven't fed any corals yet.