[Coral-List] Re Coral disease? Which one?

Melissa Keyes mekvinga at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 22 09:49:48 EDT 2006

All,

  I 'googled' Pulau Satumu and found it to be near Singapore.  I personally would not dive there.  But the coral does look diverse, and very ill.

  This series of photos shows a disease that does not resemble any that I have observed here in the Caribbean.  I might be so bold as to suggest that it looks as if it progresses at a very fast rate, much faster, and differently, from the White Plagues, seeing how there is apparent degradation of the structure of the calcarious structure of the coral.

  Jeff, if you could study your photos, and try to find and photograph the same individuals, from the ame angles and distances, your pictures  might be helpful in some way.  But I must warn you, it's a dull pastime.

  Cheers,

  Melissa Keyes

  St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands, Caribbean