[Coral-List] Resilience, Remnancy, Sustainability - Semantics?

Eric Borneman eborneman at uh.edu
Tue Mar 7 10:07:46 EST 2006

Dear list:

I have read each post in this thread with delight, even if it
reinforces my own sadness and experiences, having first seen a
Caribbean reef in Jamaica in 1974 and watching the deterioration over
the years, even now spreading to all coral reef regions outside the
Caribbean (thanks to those who have brought up the rich- or once rich
- reefs in the Pacific and elsewhere).

I have little to add to this thread since virtually all poignant and
pertinent and eloquent issues have been made to date. It gives me
comfort to see what I feel are pragmatic and theoretical constructs
that seem, at least outside my immediate circle of colleagues and
friends (birds of a feather), to attest that those outside the circle
(what seems to be the majority of my neighborhood, city, state,
country, world) are missing what is as plain as the reflection in
their mirrors.

Now, allow me to resort to a metapopulation idea that may give some
optimism to those concerned about coral reefs that very well may
stave off impacts in the short term and allow for resiliency and
recovery of coral and non-coral habitats. At least, this is  what
frequently happens with dense populations - and, in this case, its
name is H5N1. If not H5N1, its kin. We are a species, no more and no
less subject to pruning by natural causes that do not require
mandatory sterilization or genocide. While I wish harm to no living
thing, sometimes a little culling might be a good thing.

Eric Borneman
Dept. of Biology and Biochemistry
University of Houston
Science and Research Bldg. II