[Coral-List] question about coral disease: white syndrome

John Bruno jbruno at unc.edu
Wed Mar 8 12:48:30 EST 2006

Victor, I think the corals in your photos are very likely infected
with white syndrome, a fairly common coral disease on the GBR and in
other areas of the Indo-Pacific.   Willis et al. (2004) describe
several aspects of the disease including its prevalence across the
GBR.  There were also several talks on white syndrome at the ASLO
Ocean Sciences meeting last month.  You can search the abstracts at:
http://www.agu.org/meetings/os06/waisos06.html

Willis, B.L., C.A. Page, and E.A. Dinsdale, Coral disease on the
Great Barrier Reef, in Coral Health and Disease, edited by E.
Rosenberg, and  Y. Loya, pp. 69-104, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2004.

JB

John Bruno, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Marine Sciences