[Coral-List] Web TV and 3d surface area

luke.odonnell at jcu.edu.au luke.odonnell at jcu.edu.au
Fri Mar 10 17:47:44 EST 2006

Hi all

-----Sorry James I sent this dirrectly to you by mistake.

I know some of you are still waiting for the tutorial on the
O'Donnell-Jones-Noel method for finding surface areas for coral using
freeware. I promise you it is on its way and will be online soon.

But this topic has caught my eye. As I am a creative with Chocolate Box
Productions near the Great Barrier
Reef Australia, I am interested in any proposals for film or series
development.
But I don't believe you need to go down this path. Why not try something
with a larger appeal and larger market?

Currently there is great options on the net. I suggest you develop a web
site that offers free educational video
streams. You could accept micro payments or sponsorship to develop the
site. The site should discuss the
latest issues worldwide and could have a map of the world and hotspots for
environment issues related to coral.
Users could navigate to say the Australian Coast and a page with related
video streams would be listed there.
The user would click on the stream and a journalist style report on a Coral
issue would present itself.

You could use local talent in those areas along with university
involvement. The shows could look at what councils are
doing to favorably improve coral environments and be used as a learning aid
to those councils that need educating.

I would also suggest that a free license to education facilities be
arranged and advertising be organized only for those
products that are truly environmentally friendly.

The hole thing could be organized through Creative Commons and funded in
some small way via world
environment groups and universities.

You can forget the Steve Erwin reality TV approach.
It just isn't broad enough.

My Two cents....
Luke