[Coral-List] Than k you

Kathryn Hedges Khedges at khwisdom.com
Sun Mar 12 22:28:06 EST 2006

Mike

Last summer National Geographic and NOAA sponsored a coral research
program that allowed 12 teachers and students to participate in c week
of coral research at Coconut Island in Hawaii.  I think I initially was
sent an email telling me about it.  Anyway I thought that it would be
fun and told my students about the opportunity.  I filled out part of
the paper work and then left it because I needed to figure out who I
could take.  It is hard to find inner city students who can swim in the
Midwest.  I found that there were three students who could swim but only
one with no obligations that prevented her from going.  We finished the
application and then talked about how great it would be but never really
expected to be chosen.  We thought that there would be many more
qualified people who would want to go to Hawaii.  When I was told that
we would have a phone interview I thought that we might have a chance,
and when we were told that we were chosen we were in shock.
It was a wonderful trip.  We did water testing, learned to identify
fish, counted corals, learned photography, saw coral spawn, saw some
historical fish ponds and tried the process of making a pond and learned
a great deal.  This trip opened my students eyes to the many
possibilities that she never even dreamed about.
After we came back home her interest in corals caused us to find the
coral list serve.  We have been reading entries for several months and
it was one of the entries and a link to one of the NOAA map sites that
gave her the idea for her project.  She won second place in our regional
fair and will go on to the Intel International Fair with her project on
coral bleaching.
She also entered three of her pictures that she took while in Hawaii
into the art fair and won best in show.  The program has made such a
difference in her life.

Michael Borger wrote:

> Hello.  Can you tell me the nature of the trip your student went on
> and how she was able to get involved with it?
>
> Thank you,
> Michael
>

> On 3/12/06, *Kathryn Hedges* <Khedges at khwisdom.com
> <mailto:Khedges at khwisdom.com>> wrote:
>
>     I want to thank every one on the list serve for your help.  I asked
>     several of you questions on behalf of my student who was
>     interested in
>     coral bleaching.  She became interested as a result of a NOAA/National
>     Geographic sponsored trip to Hawaii last summer and has done
>     research on
>     the topic most of this year.  Your list serve has provided a
>     bounty of
>     information and insight into the topic, suggested sites that we could
>     explore further, and some of you responded to specific questions
>     that we
>     had.  Thank you.  Alessandra will be going to the Intel International
>     Science Fair this year to present her project.  I am sure the
>     information on your list serve has been a great benefit.
>     Thanks to all of you.
>     Kathryn Hedges
>     Science Teacher
>     Campagna Academy Charter School
>     Indiana.
>

>     --
>     This message has been scanned for viruses and
>     dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
>     believed to be clean.

> --
> http://www.mikeseyes.com
> http://tblogs.bootsnall.com/mb/
>
> "Only the weak and the dull of the world knew where they were going,
> and it was rarely worth the trip."

believed to be clean.