[Coral-List] Coral Conservation versus Public Relations-Guana Cay Issue

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Tue Mar 14 15:39:34 EST 2006

Hi Michael,

I agree, there is a range of developers from evil to concerned.  Still, I
believe that no matter were in the spectrum they fall, they can be pushed to
do things at least a little better.  Maybe not going from evil to good at
one time but maybe, just maybe, from evil to not so evil.

Perhaps the key here is to focus on Livingstone Marshall.  I have met him
and he is a very reasonable kinda guy.  (I'll have to admit he even
impressed me).   He is concerned about the environment.  He is polictical
and therefore his mind can be changed.

If you are sure that the litigation can stop this developer, fine go that
route as it sounds like the best route.  But in the case that it does not
work, there should be a second plan to help the developer to reduce threats
to the reef.

Maybe they don't want monitoring because it could show they are doing
something bad, maybe they don't want to mediate because they know they are
in the wrong, maybe they are afraid of science because it could stop their
development.  So why not offer some positive things.  If we can get to the
right people, maybe we can teach them about slow release fertilizers to save
them expense and spare the reefs from nitrates and nitrites.

Maybe we can teach them how to plant mangroves to enhance the view while
filtering nutrients out before they hit the reef.

Just throwing crazy ideas out, but you get the general idea.  We must find
ways to help them that are not threatening to the development or you can be
sure they will throw the baby out with the bath water.

We've got some close NGO contacts in the Bahamas that know Livingston.  So,
if you have a good plan that is not polarizing, I would be glad to approach
them and have them get the idea to Livingston from a non-threating source.

Thanks for all your work on this one, I wish everyone was as concerned about
every development!

Thanks,

Todd Barber
Chairman Reef Ball Foundation, Inc.
3305 Edwards Court
Greenville, NC 27858
reefball at reefball.com

http://www.artificialreefs.org
http://www.reefball.org
http://www.reefball.com

Direct: 252-353-9094
mobile: 941-720-7549
Fax 425-963-4119

Personal Space: http://www.myspace/reefball
Group Space http://groups.myspace.com/reefballfoundation
Skype & MSN For Voice or Video Conferences:
Available upon request

Atlanta/Athens Office
890 Hill Street
Athens, GA 30606 USA
770-752-0202
(Our headquarters...not where I work see above)