[Coral-List] Discovery Land Project Questions

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Wed Mar 15 16:53:08 EST 2006

Hi Tom,

I will address all of your questions.

1) Reef Ball is not a commerical entity and is a public non-profit
organization.  We have no financial interest in the Guanya Cay project and
we have offered to act as an intermediary without compensation.

2) CEO responded to me and IS open to discussion.   Can we see the CEO
response and clearly define?

"Thank you for your comments. I'll have Livinston Marshall, our Sr VP of the
environment, contact you. Our scientists and planners have incorporated a
lot of those suggestions and more into our development. It is the opposition
running a smear camapaign and if you review details with Dr. Marshall I
think you will agree that we are a very eco-sensitive group and responsible
developer. I'll look forward to your comments and appreciate any
support-MSM"

3) What is friendly?
His response is above and appears open to me.

3.3) What are the elements which define eco-sensitive
developers  3.4 What are examples of eco-sensitivity of developers and this
Developer?

That is open to list interpretation but in my view it would included
undertaking activities that incur cost or time with the benefit being for
positive environmental impacts when less expensive or less time consuming
environmentally damaging, degrading or neutral options are available.

4. Come up with a reasonable set of recommendations of
 Define ¡°reasonable  Define recommendation vs required mitigation
 measures.  Define ¡°reasonable¡± budget (best practical, best
available, maximum achievable).

Again, open to list interpretation, but in my mind it is giving a list of
suggestions (or if from a regulatory agency requirements) of environmentally
positive activities that should accompany the development that does not
create an undue burden (recall my analogy as to when we switch to hybrid
cars from gas cars....only when the cost is reasonably close).

5. how they could proceed with the development while
> protecting the reef?
> 5.1 Need project environmental review, assessment,
> statement, report???
> 5.2 Define ¡°protection measures¡±??

Again, open to interpretation, but in my view if the concern is that the
development will destroy the reef, then what must occur to develop the
property without destroying the reef or what must they do to prove that what
they are doing will not destroy the reef?  I have suggested that we put
together a voluntary scientific team to give them an honest assessment.

6.  DeeVon Quirolo said this may not be possible

> 6.1 Please reference and document?
Email from DeeVon follows, "Todd--the Discovery Bay Developers are already
doing all the right  things you suggested,  the Problem is that it is too
large a project  for such as small island and the other problem is the golf
course,  whether they have constructed wetlands for the runoff set off from
the shore (as they have told me) or not.  Best, DeeVon"

7-10 The usual extreme arguments -  Total Loss vs Total Protection  Maximum
Profit vs Minimum Profit

I am not sure exactly what you mean here.  Our world is defined by economics
so yes there is always a trade off between money and scare resources that
define money.

Thanks,

Todd Barber
Chairman Reef Ball Foundation, Inc.
3305 Edwards Court
Greenville, NC 27858
reefball at reefball.com

http://www.artificialreefs.org
http://www.reefball.org
http://www.reefball.com

Direct: 252-353-9094
mobile: 941-720-7549
Fax 425-963-4119

Personal Space: http://www.myspace/reefball
Group Space http://groups.myspace.com/reefballfoundation
Skype & MSN For Voice or Video Conferences:
Available upon request

Atlanta/Athens Office
890 Hill Street
Athens, GA 30606 USA
770-752-0202
(Our headquarters...not where I work see above)