[Coral-List] Unsustainable Development

Christopher Paul Jury jurychri at msu.edu
Thu Mar 16 12:09:02 EST 2006

I wholeheartedly agree that this development would likely destroy the reef
and that reef balls are not the answer, but I'm concernced that the nutrient
dynamics on reefs are being oversimplified. While the paradigm in the past
has been that any sort of nutrient enrichment is deleterious to reefs,
experience and research has shown that this is not the case. This issue has
been reviewed by Szmant (2002. Nutrient enrichment on coral reefs: Is it a
major cause of coral reef decline? ESTUARIES 25 (4B): 743-766.) The ENCORE
project, for the most part, failed to produce the expected results of
nutrient enrichment (e.g. increased macroalgal biomass) in nutrient
conditions comparable even to polluted reefs. Falter, Atkinson, et al. have
demonstrated the uptake of dissolved nutrients to reef benthos to be largely
a mass transfer limited process (e.g. Falter JL, Atkinson MJ, Coimbra CFM.
2005.Effects of surface roughness and oscillatory flow on the dissolution of
plaster forms: Evidence for nutrient mass transfer to coral reef
communities. LIMNOLOGY AND OCEANOGRAPHY 50 (1): 246-254.) and they have also
demonstrated this rate is relatively slow. Thus, the benthos are barely able
to take-up DIN and DIP from the water before it flows away to sea. In
addition, the importance of herbivory in controlling algal growth and
abundance has been demonstrated in numerous studies. It appears that both
bottom-up and top-down controls on macroalgal abundance exist, though
macroalgae rarely increase even under nutrient enrichment when sufficient
herbivores are present.

The more likely causes for decline of the reef would be stress due to
sedimentation (leading to mortality) and an inability of the reef to recover
after disturbance. Turf and macroalgae species are usually the first
colonists (besides microbes) on freshly killed coral surfaces. These can
then effectively trap sediment (Stamski RE, Field ME. 2006. Characterization
of sediment trapped by macroalgae on a Hawaiian reef flat.ESTUARINE COASTAL
AND SHELF SCIENCE 66 (1-2): 211-216.) which provides and inhospitable
enironment for the settlement of planulae. Thus, any damage done to the reef
becomes irreparable due to a lack of recruitment.

While there are several well-documented cases of eutrophication leading to
degredation of reefs (e.g. Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii) it is an oversimplification
to say that any nurtient enrichment at all will prove deleterious. Nutrient
dynamics on reefs are more complex than what can be explained stictly by
nutrient concentrations or nutrient loading. But again, this project would,
with little doubt, kill the reef in a short time. Let us all hope it is
haulted.

Best regards,

Chris Jury