[Coral-List] Question for Spiny Lobster Experts

Dan Clark reefteam2 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 18 11:09:27 EST 2006

Question to Spiny Lobster Experts

  The State of Florida is considering a request by the spiny lobster trap industry to shorten the time that lobster season is closed for breeding.  Commercial harvest is  usually closed from April 1 - Aug. 5.

  We have been diving here for decades and it has been our experience that we see a large number of egg bearing females during the month of August, the beginning of normal lobster season.  Although Florida law prohibits the harvest of egg bearing females, we have to question what impact the deployment of many thousands of traps 3 weeks earlier then the normal August 1 date will have upon the breeding population and egg bearing females. Could this have a cascading effect on future lobster stocks?

  If their are any spiny lobster experts out there can we hear from you.

  Review and discussion of a request from the spiny lobster trap industry to move the date of trap deployment from August 1, 2006 to July 10, 2006, and to move the beginning date for this year's commercial harvest of spiny lobster by traps from August 6, 2006 to July 15, 2006.  See http://myfwc.com/commission/2006/April/index.html

  Dan Clark

        Cry of the Water
  P.O. Box 8143
  Coral Springs, FL  33075