[Coral-List] Question for Spiny Lobster Experts

Rom Lipcius rom at vims.edu
Sun Mar 19 16:09:37 EST 2006

Dear Dan:

The Caribbean spiny lobster usually has two peaks in reproduction
(egg-bearing), a major one in the spring followed by a minor one in
the early fall (August-September). The minor one in the fall is
likely one that is comprised of newly matured young lobsters that
have molted in the spring and early summer, mated later, and then
produced eggs in the fall. The larger, older females typically
reproduce earlier in the year and then possibly a second time in the
early fall. The point of this is that allowing trapping in the fall
would prevent some of the youngest mature lobsters from reproducing,
and these individuals would therefore never have reproduced. In
addition, it would wipe out the characteristic secondary peak in reproduction.

I hope this helps, and if you wish I can provide references from some
of my work and that of other lobster scientists.

Regards,
Rom Lipcius