[Coral-List] Help with the design of a Wet Lab

GRMRS grmrs at wcs.org
Tue Mar 21 19:02:16 EST 2006

Dear Coral list,

Glovers Reef Marine Research Station is owned and run by Wildlife
Conservation Society. Situated on an atoll about 28 miles from the shore of
Belize, the station offers scientists throughout the world an opportunity to
conduct high quality research focused on conserving marine wildlife at one
of the Caribbean’s most complex and important coral reef systems. Since it’s
opening in 1996, the station has undergone many changes and is currently
upgrading its facilities, including building a new wet lab.

As Station Manager, I am looking for people with experience building wet
labs who could advise me on equipment to purchase, give me tips for a
successful wet-lab design and share ideas. I am also looking for someone in
the Caribbean region who would be interested in drawing plans for the wet
lab and oversee the actual construction.

This is a small-scale wet lab (in proportion with the island!) and would be
used sporadically upon request. We have an electric generator to run a water
pump during specific hours and solar system to run electricity (light) at
all time. It seems that the most popular design for this type of lab is a
head tank that is filled once or twice a day with the electric pump and then
circulates by gravity feed into the system.  My main concern is the
maintenance of the system and the set up of the workstation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you,

Annick Cros

Station Manager