[Coral-List] Numerical Coral Model

Jaap Kaandorp jaapk at science.uva.nl
Wed Mar 22 05:01:44 EST 2006

Dear Whit,

This idea to include a coral model in a climate circulation models
sounds very interesting. Regarding your question about fluxes and
time scales, we might have some ideas about this. In my group we have
been developing models of growth and form of individual coral colonies and
the influence of the physical environment. In the models we have
been investigating the influence of different flow velocities and flow patterns,
(advection-)diffusion processes, available light intensities, and carbonate limitation of
the growth process. We have also investigated these environmental parameters
in 3D models created from actual corals using 3D images obtained with
computer tomography scanning (CT). Although our models are far more detailed (and contain
for example a detailed morphological description of the coral
colony) than what you probably will need in a climate circulation models, we might be
able to provide you with some estimations of fluxes, absorption of nutrients, time scales and model
parameters.

Two papers about the coral models:
J.A. Kaandorp, P.M.A. Sloot, R.M.H. Merks, R.P.M. Bak and M.J.A. Vermeij,
Morphogenesis of the branching reef coral Madracis mirabilis,
Proc. Roy. Soc. B. 272:127-133, 2005

J.A. Kaandorp, E.A. Koopman, P.M.A. Sloot, R.P.M. Bak, M.J.A. Vermeij and
L.E.H. Lampmann Simulation and analysis of flow patterns around the scleractinian
coral Madracis mirabilis (Duchassaing and Michelotti). Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B

Please let me know if we can help you here in creating such a climate circulation model
including a coral model and if it would be useful to talk more about this.

best regards,

Jaap

--
Dr. Jaap A. Kaandorp
Section Computational Science
email: jaapk at science.uva.nl
fax: +31 20 5257490

See for the 3rd INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON NETWORKS IN BIOINFORMATICS
May 29 - 31, 2006 in Amsterdam
http://isnb.amc.uva.nl/