[Coral-List] Remnancy vs resiliency Part 3: making a list

Brylske at aol.com Brylske at aol.com
Thu Mar 23 15:07:46 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/23/06 1:19:48 PM, szmanta at uncw.edu writes:

> 1)  Never, ever again take a vacation to a coral reef unless you have a
> way to take home with you every scrap of material (soda & beer bottles,
> left over food, your personal waste products, including used toilet
> paper).
>
> 2)  Convince all of your friends and neighbors from taking reef
> vacations, and protest at local travel agents that sell people tours to
> coral reef locations.

Dr. Szmant:
     I have nothing but the utmost respect for you, and long ago heeded your
clarion call about the loss of biodiversity on reefs. And I certainly admit
that my opinion could be biased, having spent most of my adult life in the
marine tourism industry. But I have to ask, if people stop visiting coral reefs,
how can we build the constituency to protect them? I've always felt that Sylvia
Earle was right on   target when she asked, "How can we except people to love
coral reefs who have never seen one?"   Do you think that even an IMAX film
can sufficiently convey the experience of being on a reef? Personally, I don't
think so. But then again, I'm just a dump scuba instructor.

I'm not at all trying to pick a fight here. It's just that opposition to
tourism is a conservation strategy that I've never encountered before, and I'd
like to hear more of what you and others think about this. Of course, the other
issue is that tourism is now the largest industry on earth, and most of it
takes place in or near the sea. So, this will be a real uphill battle.

Alex F. Brylske, Ph.D.
Training Manager
The Coral Reef Alliance (CORAL)

"Working together to keep coral reefs alive."

please respond to:
3324 SW 8th Court
Cape Coral, FL 33914
USA
Tel: +239-281-1197
Fax: +281-664-9497
E-mail: abrylske at coral.org
Web site: www.coral.org

International Office:
417 Montgomery Street, Suite 205
San Francisco, CA  94104
Tel:  (415) 834-0900
Fax:  (415) 834-0999

This email may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are
not the intended recipient (or have received this email in error) please
notify the sender immediately and destroy this email. Any unauthorized copying,
disclosure or distribution of the material in this email is strictly forbidden.