[Coral-List] Remnancy vs resiliency Part 3: making a list

Curtis Kruer kruer at 3rivers.net
Thu Mar 23 13:50:36 EST 2006

Alina,

In this day and age aggressive, progressive approaches to resource management is exactly what's
needed - both from a resource management and the advocacy standpoint.  We've tried the other
approach and the victories have been few and far between.  And understanding "shifting baselines" is
critical.  A friend in the Keys recently reminded me that the place still looks great to newbies
from New Jersey.

AS: "The lobster fishermen in the Keys are trashing our precious coral reefs
with their traps and lines, and I don't hear anyone screaming about
that...only sewage!  Why not???? ""

In regard to the problem of traps and trap debris in the Keys I agree with you completely but
disagree about no one screaming about it.  How many copies of letters to the state and feds with
data and information backing up the claims of scope and impact would you like?  Agencies in the Keys
are well aware of the magnitude of the problem with hundreds of thousands of traps and styro buoys
predictably lost each year and hundreds of miles of non-degradable poly trap line left in the
environment. The agencies heard from me loud and clear for many years and have chosen to do next to
nothing other than some well publicized cleanups in highly visible areas of nearshore flats.  Maybe
Tom Mathews and John Hunt with the FWCC in the Keys could speak up and advise us what's being done
to address the problem.

The trap fishermen as we speak are asking for subsidies ($$ and an earlier, longer season) and are
not being held responsible for their mess in Keys waters.  The state has been concerned for a long
time about the terrible inefficiency in this fishery and the widespread problem of ghost traps that
continue to fish.  NOAA determined years ago that traps left in one spot for more then a few weeks
kill the seagrass under them (a 40 lb concrete slab forms the base of a typical trap).  And, as you
suggest, the problems is extremely obvious to all underwater in heavily trapped areas of the reef.

This issue is a classic example of Keys agencies knowing what's happening and choosing to either not
address it at all (like "sacrifice areas") or doing just enough to get by. If you want info about
the problems of trap debris in the Keys just let me know.

And with that I'm going to have a rum - I still drink it.

Curtis Kruer