[Coral-List] Question on Malaysian Sarawak Reef Balls

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Sun Mar 26 17:54:38 EST 2006

Hi Lee,

I am sorry to be late in answering your question, for some reason it did not make it to my inbox but our Executive Director, Kathy Kirbo, forwarded it to me.

Anyway, The program was by the Sarawak Forestry Department, and around 3 national forest designated islands they deployed over 2,000 Large Reef Balls (I get some reports that they did even more...around 5,000) randomly so that fishermen would not know where they were and would avoid the area with their nets.  This worked and the Forestry Department published several informational brochures and one scientific report on the subject.  Adult turtle deaths declined and egg landings increased.  You should be able to find them and more detailed reports on the project at http://www.reefball.org/album/malaysia/index.html

Then navigate to Borneo -> Sarawak -> Reef Ball Working Group Turtle Protection Project. (Or it may be under Malaysia -> Sarawak -> Reef Ball Working Group depending upon when you access it in relation to our current website update).

(Sorry, I would give you the exact URL but the page is being updated as I write this and the URL will change as we re-organized the geographic listings when we added the new Sabah projects).

Feel free to contact me if you need more information.

-Todd Barber