[Coral-List] position announcement

willp2 at tds.net willp2 at tds.net
Thu May 11 11:58:47 EDT 2006

Robert,

Your question is based on logic, rather than the way gov'mnt works. When one has tasks to fulfill in the government, time takes precidence over logic. The money dedicated for each task has many strings, and often funding is available within a restricted time window. The contractor doesn't draw government 'benefits,' and this is interpreted as net saving to project cost. However, contractors generally represent a higher cost by 15% or more. A contracted individual can be put in place quickly, doing the task on the preset schedule (probably set assuming in house personnel), and terminated quickly as well.  Often, by coinicidence, the contracting company is politically generous (this shouldn't reflect upon the individual doing the job). I'm truly attempting to avoid cyncism, but must add, most government employees avoid revealing these sorts of "details;" my retirement checks have probably just been jeopardized !

Will Davis