[Coral-List] weird bleaching in baja

Mark Eakin Mark.Eakin at noaa.gov
Mon May 15 09:38:49 EDT 2006

We are seeing many cases of localized bleaching that seem to be
primarily related to increased light.  The combined effect of
temperature and light is an area that we are looking into as an
improvement to our Coral Reef Watch products.  We are awaiting
studies that answer whether the effects of light and temperature are
additive or synergistic.  Either way, it seems that either:
1) high temperatures increase susceptibility to bleaching due to high
light conditions, or
2) high light conditions increase susceptibility to bleaching due to
high temperatures.

Cheers,
Mark

On May 10, 2006, at 12:16 PM, hreyes wrote:

> dear coral listers. in the last month we have noticed some
> bleaching in
> pocilloporid corals from loreto to cabo san lucas (25 to 22N in the
> gulf of
> california). water temperature is normal (from 22 to 25o in
> surface), but the
> water is unusually transparent. does anybody has seen something
> like that
> elsewhere? we think that the problem is caused by UV light but we
> have no data
> to test the idea. is there any uv light database in the web? gracias!
>
> Hector Reyes
>
> "Stay hard, stay hungry, stay alive.
> If you can.
> And meet me in a dream of this hard land"
> A quien corresponda, de parte del Jefe Springsteen
>
> Hector Reyes Bonilla
> Universidad Autonoma de Baja California Sur
> Departamento de Biologia Marina
> Ap. postal 19-B, CP 23080
> La Paz, B.C.S., MEXICO
> Tel. (612) 123-8800, ext. 4180
> Fax: (612)123-8819

------------------------
C. Mark Eakin, Ph.D.
Coordinator, NOAA Coral Reef Watch
Center for Satellite Applications and Research
Satellite Oceanography & Climate Division
e-mail: mark.eakin at noaa.gov
url: coralreefwatch.noaa.gov

E/RA31, SSMC1, Room 5308
1335 East West Hwy
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3226
301-713-2857 x109                   Fax: 301-713-3136