[Coral-List] artificial reef and aquaculture

Adeline POUGET adeline_pouget at yahoo.fr
Tue May 23 02:52:01 EDT 2006

Hello,
 First, I'd like to thank all of the people who responded to my request for informations about artificial reefs made with living coral.
 I just would like give a few details about my issue. I work on cages off shore (for fish aquaculture) where coral larvae settle. The development of this coral colonies is a "problem" because it makes the ropes of cages break and so, divers have to remove it. To avoid the "death" of this coral we try to find a way to use it. One of the solution is to double the rope and use the colonised line to make an artificial reef just below off-shore cages.
 I would like to know if you have any articles or documents which deal with "artificial reefs (made with living coral or not) made for recycling aquaculture wastes" : Do you know if it has already been done with living corals? Do you have any informations about the best  "architecture" to use with this ropes to allow a durable colonisation by organisms (how to fix it)?
 Thanks again

 Adeline POUGET
 Reunion Island
 FRANCE