[Coral-List] Gene's comment on coral ESA listing

Jennifer.Moore at noaa.gov Jennifer.Moore at noaa.gov
Tue May 23 14:53:22 EDT 2006

Dear Gene,
I am replying to your message from last Friday and would like to respond
to the quote below.  As the primary NOAA Fisheries Service biologist
working on the listing, I would like to clear some things up.
Specifically, the causes of the Acroporids' demise have been documented
as a combination of several stressor as summarized by the Biological
Review Team (available at http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/protres.htm).
Although, some of the stressors are not manageable under current
knowledge, that is not a criterion for listing under the ESA.  If a
species' status meets the definition of threatened or endangered, then
we must list the species, regardless of whether we can manage for the
threats.  That is just the way to Act is written.  Additionally, the
reason that the BRT did not make a listing recommendation is that it was
not within their purview to do so.  Only NOAA Fisheries Service as
delegated by the Secretary of Commerce can make the listing
determination.  The BRT responded to their charge to summarize the best
scientific and commercial information available to assist in NOAA
Fisheries Service making the listing determination.  Lastly, to answer
how NOAA took authority, the ESA of 1973 as amended specifically gives
authority to both the Secretaries of Interior and Commerce to implement
the Act.  The Sec of Commerce has jurisdiction over all marine and
anadromous species, as such they have the authority to list corals,
marine species.  Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
Jennifer

"no one really knows the cause of Acropora demise, (along with many other
coral species), and therefore no one knows what to protect it from.
It was interesting to read that the Biological Review Team (BRT) who
did an excellent review of Acropora did not in fact suggest that it
be listed. They only concluded that it was threatened, something we
have known for over 20 years...Can anyone enlighten me when and how NOAA
(Dept
of Commerce) took authority to list corals?"

Message: 1