[Coral-List] Acropora listing

Gene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Thu May 25 09:52:28 EDT 2006

Thank you Jennifer for answering my basic question. I am surprised
that Commerce took jurisdiction of the ESA as early as 1973 because
it was a few years after that (and before establishment of Looe Key
Sanctuary) when some of us were involved with the proposed listing of
Pillar coral. At that time Fish and Wild service took charge of the
issue. At  issue was the decline of the species due to collecting for
the aquarium trade etc., so it was a pretty simple case. Simply
outlaw collecting of pillar coral and it would come back. Fish and
Wildlife ruled against listing because the species was not threatened
throughout its entire range. Coral diseases had not yet appeared nor
had FKNMS. Now many species are in decline due to diseases as 5-years
of EPA/NOAA funded monitoring studies in FKNMS have shown. Thanks
again, Best Wishes, Gene
--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor