[Coral-List] more from Tom Goreau

Jim Hendee Jim.Hendee at noaa.gov
Thu Nov 2 06:05:41 EST 2006

[See below]

Re: [Coral-List] CO2 and the inconvenient truth
From:
Thomas Goreau <goreau at bestweb.net>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2006 14:14:41 -0500

To:
"Jansen Anderman-Hahn" <jandermanhahn at vermontlaw.edu>
CC:
<coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov>

Dear Jansen,

Since a reef is simply a rock that you can run a ship aground on, it
does not matter if it is dead or alive. So the irony is that we have
lost NONE of our reefs (at least until  global sea level rise and
bio-erosion accelerates to float all grounded vessels) even though we
have already lost MOST of our corals.

We have indeed found strong regional patterns in warming rates, with
some areas much more affected than average, and a few lucky ones much
less affected. This is not a matter of distance from shore or the global
conveyer belt as much as changes in surface currents and upwelling. Ray
Hayes and I have published some papers on this, a few that have been
banned from publication by malign reviewers, and have much more in
preparation.

Best wishes,
Tom