[Coral-List] Reef restoration?

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Tue Nov 7 10:58:54 EST 2006

Hi Ade,

Very good points indeed.  First, I would like to point out that Reef Balls
can really only be used for Coral rehabilitation, not restoration...even
with the planting of propagated corals.  Coral reefs cannot be restored, per
se....they are complex living ever changing ecosystems.

What I can say is that rehabilitation efforts often have a much bigger
impact than their footprints.  People that participate in such projects
become stewards of reefs often devoting much more time and energy into
protecting natural reefs from threats.

Developers, that have to spend money on mitigating damage they do start
trying to find ways to minimize reef damage to minimize the costs.

Using "designed" reefs or targeted propagation or planting strategies, very
specific local issues can be addressed...be that as generic as tourisum
enhancement or as specific as cloning and replanting specific stress
resistant corals.

More importantly, designed reefs can directly create protective void spaces
(which is one of the main ecological contributions of corals to mobile
marine species)....which is becoming more and more critical as coral reefs
are experiancing declining protective void space offerings while human
pressures increase on fishery resources.

And as far as developing places, one of the best things about simplified and
process controlled approaches like the Reef Ball Coral Team approach is that
it can be shared around the world, scaled to any budget, and yet deliver
consistant positive results.  And our non-profit foundation approach even
gets funding to those who cannot afford even the smallest of projects.

Will rehabilitation ever take the place of conservation or mandated
protection? NO.  Will rehabilitation eliminate the need to work on the
global issues affecting corals. NO.  Is rehabilitation a cure for what ails
reefs? NO.  Does rehabilitation efforts have a place in the toolbox of those
that care about reefs? YES.

Thanks,

Todd R. Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation

3305 Edwards Court,
Greenville, NC 27858
941-720-7549 Cell
252-353-9094 Direct
Skype Toddbarber or Skype In (252) 557-1047, United States (+1)
MSN messenger reefball at hotmail.com
reefball at reefball.com (email address)