[Coral-List] more climate stuff (Gene Shinn)

David Evans davidjevans1818 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 23 22:27:35 EST 2006

Gene,

I have been following this recent climate change exchange that has been going on for some while with interest (along with other previous topics on the list). I certainly have my own views on the issue of climate change, as I believe everyone is definitely entitled to. I am a marine biologist, for which I have a Bachelor's Degree of Science. I am also 36 and have been around this wide wonderous world once or twice and been here and there, for which I am grateful. I've be in a war (that is, on site, air raid sirens, bomb shelters, etc.). I'm also a student of human history, and read generaly and widely. Anyhow, my point is, I pay all due respects to the PhD's in the room, as well as any folks of wisdom, whatever form they come in.

I do have my thoughts about various issues you and others have raised, as I imagine many who have been reading do.

I would like to ask however, what is your understanding of the word "consensus" (regarding your statement about "consesus of scientists ... is a myth.")? Does it mean all scientists studying the issue, 100% ? From my understanding, no that's not what it means. Are there allowed to be skeptics and there still be a consensus? Yes, I think so. Are you saying that you don't think there are enough scientists who support the view that human induced climate change is a valid description of our current situation? Should it be more than a mere majority? Should it be 95% ? What is tha appropriate amount in this situation? In addition to the message from the deeply imbedded geologist studying climate change, what is your evidence that the Consensus is just not large enough? Does it really have to be 100%? From my understanding, that's not how science works. In fact, I think skeptics are important to the process. It keeps things real.

I think the point is that there are more than enough honest, sincere, talented, skilled, scientist world wide that agree about carbon emissions and global climate change and they are saying "Hey! things are looking like this...." Do they even need to be 100% sure of their conclusions...? Again, from my understanding, that's not how science works. Consider the world playing Russian Roulett with a giant revolver with x number of bullet chambers. Can any number of those chambers be loaded with a giant earthbound asteroid or comet? or with sudden catastrophic outbursts of volcanic and seismic activity? or dangerous increases in solar radiance? Sure! I think those are all given risks we understand as part of living on this planet Earth. But why would we intentionally load that gun with a greater number of green house gas bullets??? There are enough good folks with good strong evidence saying that the carbon emission bullets we are loading into that gun are not duds... I,
 personally, would rather not spin that loaded chamber.

Is this an emotional issue? Yes, it is. It has to be. It involves things that are emotionally important to all of us as humans: family (I have three kids), realestate, incomes, dividends, power, pride, aesthetics, spirituality, biodiversity, the functioning of the world's ecological systems (I'm very emotional about that one...), and of course coral reefs etc.

I do also believe that knowning the funding sources of studies or researchers is important, though I agree that that in itself is not enough to properly counter an argument. But I believe that most studies are open about their funding precisely because it is a point of concern. Shouldn't a proper peer review process sort those papers out? (Is saying that a politician should not raise the issue in the public sphere really a valid plea? Isn't that what they do? Are you trying to say that Al is claiming to have come up with the concept of climate change himself or has performed the research himself? Should Jaques Cousteau not have brought visions of "zee undher whaater werld" to millions of top siders because he was more cinematographer than marine biologist?)

The time for harsh words should be over. This is an emotional debate in the human sphere, but the science is solid (solid enough - God will grade how close we got to absolute truth later...but Heisenberg worn't be happy with that). There is room for skeptics.

And since today is Thanksgiving... there should be room for seconds (after a small break)!!!

Best Regards,
Be Well,
Shalom,

David Evans