[Coral-List] "Heating" vs "Warming"

John Ware jware at erols.com
Wed Oct 4 09:15:17 EDT 2006

Hi Phil,

The short answer is NO.

I guess I am having trouble making myself clear - I suppose I didn't
compose my message carefully enough.  So, one more try:

Warming: Means that the temperature measurement is higher than some
standard.

Heating: Means that energy has been received due to a temperature
difference, this causes a temperature increase in the receiving body..

So, "heating" implies a mechanism (which may not be known with
certainty), while "warming" only implies a higher temperature (cause
unspecified, standard should be specified).   So, "warming" is preferred
unless it can be stated with certainty that the cause of the temperature
increase is added energy in the form of heat.

John

Phil Dustan wrote:

> So the water is warmer because it is being heated and the corals are
> cooking?
>
> Phillip Dustan  Ph.D.
> Department of Biology
> College of Charleston
> Charleston   SC  29424
> (843) 953-8086 voice
> (843) 953-5453 (Fax)

    *                      John R. Ware, PhD                    *
    *                         President                         *
    *                      SeaServices, Inc.                    *
    *                   19572 Club House Road                   *
    *             Montgomery Village, MD, 20886, USA            *
    *                       301 987-8507                        *
    *                      jware at erols.com                      *
    *                 http://www.seaservices.org                *
    *                     fax: 301 987-8531                     *
    *             Treasurer and Member of the Council:          *
    *            International Society for Reef Studies         *
    *     |\/__       Untainted by Technology            \      *