[Coral-List] A. arabensis & A. cervicornis Any cross-breeding attempts?

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Wed Oct 4 12:14:11 EDT 2006

Dear Listers,

The Reef Ball Foundation's Coral Team just completed a coral propagation and
planting project in the Arabian Gulf off the waters of the United Arab
Emirates.  This was our second project working with the Acropora arabensis
"an extremophile in the Acropora species" ...for those unfamiliar, it's a
very hardy staghorn that withstands huge temperature ranges, 50-100 F or
more, heavily silted water and high salenities.

Our question is if there are any scientists working with gene transfer or
other crossing techniques that could be used to endow A. cervicornis with
similar hardy traits.  Additionally, has anyone kept both of these species
in captivities together to determine compatibilities?

Thanks,

Todd R. Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation
3305 Edwards Court,
Greenville, NC 27858
941-720-7549 Cell
252-353-9094 Direct
Skype Toddbarber or Skype In (252) 557-1047, United States (+1)
MSN messenger reefball at hotmail.com
reefball at reefball.com (email address)