[Coral-List] top-down, bottom-up arguments

Christopher Paul Jury jurychri at msu.edu
Mon Oct 9 18:50:13 EDT 2006

Gene,

I sympathize. Actually, the ENCORE project administered in microatolls off
of One Tree Island, GBR is probably right along the lines of what you are
thinking.

Koop, K and many others. 2001. ENCORE: The effect of nutrient enrichment on
coral reefs. Synthesis of results and conclusions. Marine Pollution
Bulletin. 42(2): 91-120.

In the initial low-loading phase of the study ammonium was elevated to 11.5
umol/L at every low tide and phosphate to 2.3 umol/L. The following year
nutrient loading was more than doubled to 36.2 umol/L ammonium and 5.1
umol/L phosphate.

Despite expectations, there were essentially no differences in algal
biomass, productivity, coverage, etc. for any of the groups studied
(phytoplankton, macroalgae, endolithic algae, coralline) in nutrient
enrichment treatments vs. controls. There were also few if any differences
in coral survivability, calcification, linear extention, etc. attributable
to nutrient enrichment in the low-loading phase. There were some differences
in the high-loading phase, but they seem species-specific if anything and
are less than totally satisfying. Additionally, this is well above the
nutrient concentrations reported even on most (though not all) polluted
reefs or areas of strong upwelling, so it is difficult to extrapolate what
these results suggest for a reef experiencing moderate nutrient enrichment.

The nutrient concentrations attained in this study are obviously well above
the 1.0 umol/L nitrogen and 0.1 umol/L phosphorus that has been suggested in
this discussion as a threshold for a phase shift to algal dominance. Despite
this there was no indication that the system was moving towards algal
dominance at any phase, and just the opposite in fact.

It seems clear that one cannot possibly say that nutrient enrichment always
leads to harm to reef organisms or that surpasing a 1.0 umol/L DIN and 0.1
umol/L DIP threshold always leads to algal dominance on reefs. Clearly this
is not the case and there are many reports that demonstrate this. However,
taking into account such case studies as the reefs of Kaneohe Bay, Hawai'i,
many of those around Jamaica, and in various other areas it is clear that
one cannot possibly claim that nutrient enrichment never leads to harm to
reef organisms or to algal overgrowth over corals. Clearly this can and does
happen as well. The problem, as I see it, is that likely several factors are
determining whether nutrient enrichment is deleterious to a reef and reef
corals and whether that enrichment leads to algal dominance over corals, but
those factors have yet to be determined for most if any reefs. There must be
some mechanism that caused the reefs in Keneohe Bay to become eutrophic and
covered in macroalgae while similar enrichment off One Tree Island caused no
such harm. That, it seems to me, should be what folks are working
on--determing why one reef becomes eutrophic and another does not, not
whether nutrient enrichment is potentially harmful or not. We have already
answered that question: sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Best regards,

Chris Jury
Center for Marine Science
Universty of North Carolina Wilmington