[Coral-List] top-down, bottom-up arguments

Jeremy J. Sofonia jeremy at sofonia.com
Tue Oct 10 10:14:42 EDT 2006

Dear Mr. Shinn and interested Coral-List readers:

I believe that Professor Terry Hughes from James Cook University,
Townsville Australia (and associates) has conducted some large scale
studies in this, and other relative areas.  If interested, please
refer to the publications cited below, I hope they may be of some
interest:

Connell, J.H., T.P. Hughes, C. Wallace, J. E. Tanner, K. E. Harms and
A. M. Kerr. A longterm
study of competition and diversity of corals. Ecological Monographs
74: 179-210
(2004).

Ayre, D.J., and T.P. Hughes. Climate change, genotypic diversity and
gene flow in reefbuilding
corals. Ecology Letters 7: 273-278 (2004).

Bellwood, D.R., T.P. Hughes, C. Folke, and M. Nyström. 2004.
Confronting the coral reef
crisis. Nature. (24th June 2004, In Press).

Hughes, T.P., A.H. Baird, D.R. Bellwood, M. Card, S.R. Connolly, C.
Folke, R. Grosberg,
O. Hoegh-Guldberg, J.B.C. Jackson, J. Kleypas, J.M. Lough, P.
Marshall, M. Nyström,
S.R. Palumbi, J.M. Pandolfi, B. Rosen, J. Roughgarden. Climate
Change, Human
Impacts, and the Resilience of Coral Reefs. Science 301, 929-933 (2003).

Hughes, T.P., A.H. Baird, E.A. Dinsdale, N.A. Moltschaniwskyj, M.S.
Pratchett, J.E. Tanner,
and B.L. Willis. Latitudinal patterns in larval recruitment:
Detecting regional variation
using meta-analysis and large-scale sampling. Ecology 83: 436-451
(2002).

Hughes, T.P., Bellwood, D.R., and S.R. Connolly. Biodiversity
hotspots, centers of
endemicity, and the conservation of coral reefs. Ecology Letters 5:
775-784 (2002).

Best Regards,

    JEREMY J. SOFONIA
     Marine & Environmental Scientist