[Coral-List] Photographs with a surprise

Melissa Keyes mekvinga at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 9 20:30:45 EDT 2006

Hello, Listers,

Below is a link to some series photos of a "White Disease" problem some corals exhibit.  I set out to show how quickly White Plague (whatever that is) can kill a coral.

I am indebted to Eric Borneman who commented that some of what is believed to be disease is actually damage from fish bites.

Here in the sea surrounding St. Croix, almost all the larger fish are gone.  Fishermen are selling small Barracudas, less than a meter in length.  Barracudas used to be 'trash' fish that no one would eat.  I believe there is an over population of Damselfish and Butterfly Fish.

I tell folks that if you have a four legged table, and you eliminate one leg, the table might fall over.  The leg that's been eliminated here is anything humans find edible in the sea, such as groupers, snappers, parrotfish, lobsters, large crabs.

http://mekvinga.tripod.com/plague_and_damselfish/index.album?i=0

Cheers,

Melissa E. Keyes,

Saint Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands, Caribbean Sea