[Coral-List] About time?: No its not

Michael Risk riskmj at univmail.cis.mcmaster.ca
Fri Oct 13 15:54:15 EDT 2006

Alina:

As one who has in the past been guilty of intemperate language, it is
perhaps appropriate that I bring to your attention that your post goes
beyond the norms of professional discourse.

Calling James Cervino a scientific prostitute guilty of unacceptable
behaviour was offensive, and seemingly incorrect. As far as I can make
out, he simply conflated algal growth with high nutrients, which is not
a sin. Many would consider it as given.

As far as the scientific body of your message goes-I am not sure what
point is being made by saying "while some of the differences between
treatments were statistically significant the differences were not
biologically/ecologically significant". Most of us base our
experimental work on statistical significance. Your post has the
finger-in-the-dike sound that scientists make when some of their
deeply-held beliefs are being assaulted by mountains of data...

But James brings up a point alluded to several times on the -list, that
science can be diverted/perverted/converted to noxious ends by large
sums of money. I will now make full financial disclosure, so that my
biases may be evaluated by all readers. This is a policy I commend to
my colleagues.

I receive no money from any US government agency. I have never accepted
a penny from developers or their agents. I am presently working with
Brian Lapointe on reefs of the east coast of Florida. I also serve as
an advisor to the government of Florida, for which I receive crappy
accommodation in Dania, as well as $28/day for meals-none of which I
plan to spend eating ever again in Jo-Jo's Italian Restaurant.

Regards-Mike