[Coral-List] Michael Risk - C. delitrix as measure of bioerosion

Albert Norström albert at ecology.su.se
Wed Oct 18 13:07:15 EDT 2006

I'm another one of those people from the "its about time we discussed
clioniid sponges" camp. I'll keep my post short, since most of what I
have to say on the subject has already been said. However, one thing
has struck me as very peculiar. While the coral-macroalgal shifts in
the Caribbean  have garnered much attention (in the general
"degradation of reefs literature", but also in the interesting phase-
shift discourse), little  has been said about the spread of
bioeroding sponges such as C.delitrix. Why so? It seems that both
phenomena are widespread throughout the Caribbean and that, as is the
case with macroalgae, sponges are now dominants in systems previously
dominated by hard corals.

Is this simply due to macroalge being more conspicuous benthic
organisms, and that clioniids are more difficult to include in
classic measures of benthic cover? Is it because, they exhibit faster
turn-over rates, thus making these "sponge phases" less persistent
over time? (note: I have a hard time believing any of those reasons...).