[Coral-List] Should we have a photo journal for ecologists

Michael Arvedlund arvedlund at speedpost.net
Thu Oct 19 18:47:01 EDT 2006

Hi Reuven Walder,

Many thanks for your reply. I think the marinephotobank is wonderful,
absolutely. These kinds of initiatives are very much needed. (And I need
to get a sample portfolio sent to the photo bank soon). However, what I
am thinking about is not so much a photo bank (but a refereed journal
that publishes small notes like the Reef Site notes (in the journal
Coral Reefs), expanded Reef Site notes, and other photo dominated
papers. Most important is that all submissions should be subject to
peer-review, for the quality of the images of course, but also for the
attached scientific text. The photos must show something NEW, e.g. a new
behaviour of a fish on a reef, an observation documented by a colour
image of a rare coral in an unusual locality ect. Such a hypothetical
journal might very well be linked up with e.g. the marine photo bank as
well as the image collections of reef- and fish-base.

Cheers, Mike

Dr. Michael Arvedlund
Reef Consultants
Raadmand Steins Allé 16A, 208